Charter Index (“we”, “our”, “us”, “Charter Index”) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy (together with our Terms & Conditions and any other documents referred to on our websites at www.charterindex.com, www.charterindexonline.com and www.charterbrochure.com (collectively, the “Sites”) set out the basis on which any “personal data” (as defined by the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”)) we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Charter Index Limited, a limited company, registered in England and Wales, company number 4370794, and have our registered office at 8 Ravenscourt Place, Hammersmith, London, W6 0UN. Our data protection registration number is ZA146398.
1. INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
• Information that you provide by filling in forms (including the “Contact Us” form) on the Sites or making enquiries or bookings through our Sites. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Sites, subscribing to our service and membership information, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site.
• General, aggregated, demographic, and non-personal data (such as aggregated anonymous information about website usage) may be collected by the Company. It will not be linked to any of your personal data, through cookies or other means, without your consent.
• If you contact us or submit an enquiry or booking to an agent via the Sites, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
• Details of transactions or bookings for yachts requested or carried out through our Sites.
• Billing information when you subscribe to any of our services on our Sites.
• Details of your visits to our Sites including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise, and the resources that you access.
3. WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our Sites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
4. USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
• To ensure that content from our Sites is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
• To improve the Sites and the services we provide. We may use aggregated and non-identifiable information for research purposes and provide such information to third parties to improve or promote the Sites or our services. No individuals can reasonably be identified or linked to any part of the information we share with third parties to improve or promote our Sites or the services we offer.
• To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
• To pass your enquiries and booking requests for yachts onto the relevant agent.
• To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
• To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
• To notify you about changes to our service or to contact you via email about service-related announcements, billing-related matters, changes to our Sites, services or policies, or other service or administrative-related matters. Please note that you cannot opt-out of such communications.
5. EMAIL MARKETING
We may also use your data, or permit selected third parties to use your data to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you about these.
If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by email with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale to you.
If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form or page on which we collect your data. You can also opt-out of receiving future marketing communications from us at any time by following the directions contained in the e-mail to unsubscribe, or by Contact Us here.
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users. We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target. We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
Our Sites may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, agents, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
6. DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
• In the event of a merger, acquisition, reorganization, sale of all or substantially all of its assets, or the sale of an individual website owned by us, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets or to a third party as a part of such merger, acquisition, reorganization, or sale.
• If Charter Index or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
• If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation (including responding to requests from law enforcement authorities outside the EEA, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms & Conditions and other agreements; or to protect our rights, property, or safety, or that of our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction, and may require us to transfer your personal data outside of the EEA.
7. YOUR CONTROL OVER YOUR USE OF PERSONAL DATA
a. access, update and correct your personal information in your account by visiting your account page;
b. cancel your account. To cancel and delete your account, please contact us here. The data will remain available to Charter Index but only on an anonymous basis. We will fulfill requests to fully delete personal data unless the request is not technically feasible or such data is required to be retained by law (in which case we will block access to such data, if required by law).
8. ACCESS TO INFORMATION
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of $50 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.